Santa Ponça, Calvià
971 13 91 00
Puig de Sa Morisca
The Puig de sa Morisca Mallorcan archaeological site is located in the archaeological park of the same name, in the town of Santa Ponça.
This park is publically owned. In order to reach it head for the town centre on the MA‑1 road and take Santa Ponça avenue. When you reach the junction with Puig de sa Morisca street you can enter the park. It has an approximate area of 45 hectares, 35 of them municipally owned.
The Puig de sa Morisca archaeological site was occupied for a long period:
The first phase is from the Late Bronze Age, 1200 Before the Common Era (bce) and was related to maritime control and the network of coastal settlements that facilitated navigation in that era.
The second phase started in the Talayotic Era, in the Iron Age, 900/800 bce, when a tower (Tower III) was built at the top of the peak. At this time what would become the Talayotic settlement of the Puig de sa Morisca started to grow. The settlement has two well defined zones: the inhabited area that is located on the hill, on the slopes of the Puig, and that is delimited by two sections of walls and the high part of the Puig de sa Morisca. This is a very well protected area, with five towers and various lengths of wall built, controlling all access to the hilltop.
Owing to its strategic location and its excellent view over the territory, this archaeological site in Calviá was to play a central role in the territorial organisation of the other Talayotic sites, creating a network for visual and territorial domination of the Santa Ponça area.
The third phase developed from the 6th century bce. At this time the settlement acquired a fundamental importance owing to the relationships it established with Ebussus (Ibiza). This allowed it to maintain contacts with outsiders, something reflected in the high presence of Phoenician and Punic materials, materials that would come to Puig de sa Morisca throughout the 6th century. This implies that between this enclave and Ibiza or other cities in the orbit of Carthage there would be significant commercial exchange. This activity would perhaps centre on the natural harbour of sa Caleta or the cove of Santa Ponça, a place for disembarking merchandise that would be taken to the hill itself.
These goods would be distributed from Puig de sa Morisca to other secondary settlements that relied on it to a greater or lesser extent, thus establishing a network of settlements that would occupy an extensive territorial area.
This commercial activity that began at the end of the Talayotic Period was to continue and become established throughout the Balearic Period. It would adapt to the changing economic dynamics of the Mediterranean, where Roman goods gained importance as the Republic expanded and annexed territories.
The settlement continued operating until the arrival of the troops of the Roman Republic, commanded by the consul Quintus Caecilius Metellus in 123 bce. At this point the site was abandoned, possibly as a response to the new territorial concept of the conquerors.
The last step of the Puig belongs to the Almohad phase, Islamic period (1201-1229). Various rooms attached to the central tower of Puig de sa Morisca (Tower III) date from this time. This settlement would probably be connected with the trends in territorial control of this period.
Puig de sa Morisca was finally abandoned in 1229, with the conquest of Mallorca by the Catalan-Aragonese Crown. In September 1229 the troops of King James I landed in Santa Ponça Bay and devastated the peak, as is shown by the levels of destruction found in the excavations.